VISIT Easingwold- Yorkshire at its best

THORMANBY

Hambleton parish population estimate:  100 (2000)

Thormanby - a History

 

Set on a hill, the village is called Tormozbi in the Domesday Book. Other spellings of the name since then include Thormothby, Thormetby, Thornanby and Thornomby. The -by of the name is a common Danish place-name element meaning "settlement". The first part of the name, Thormon or Thormothr, was the personal name of the original Danish settler, and came from Thor, the Norse god, and mothr, "a gift".


Before the Norman Conquest the land had been held by Arkil, a Dane and Gamel, a Saxon, but by the time of the Domesday Book in 1086, the owner was Robert de Mallet, a Norman supporter of William the Conqueror. There were 4 carucates of land supporting 2 ploughs, the land being worth 10 shillings and mostly waste.
Trade had generally flourished in the past. The farm lands were enclosed in 1781-2.

The Great North Road running through the village provided some employment, for in coaching days, fast mails changed horses on their journeys at the stables of Messrs Barber, Castle & Mills at the bottom of the hill. There were at one time three inns, but only the existing Black Bull remains. A directory of 1891 lists the following trades being pursued in the village:  farmers, joiner, blacksmith, grocer, postmaster, farrier, steam threshing, victualler, boot and shoemaker.

Most of the land in the village was owned by Viscount Downe of Wykeham, but much of this was sold in 1918 when the Sessay estate was disposed of.

Down a lane is the delightful church of St Mary's. Parts of the church are Norman, with the nave, side wall and north aisle built about 1200. The brick tower dates from about 1822. A small Wesleyan chapel built in 1875 has now been converted into a private house. The village has no parish hall, the parish rooms having been burned down in 1934. Records of village affairs go back to 1894, when the first Parish Meeting was held under the chairmanship of William Plummer.

The village has seen a steady decline in population. In 1852, 154 lived here; by 1911, 107, and the present electoral roll has 85 electors. Nevertheless, it is a friendly and positive community. The Parish Meeting minutes record calls for 30 mph speed limits as far back as the early 1930s. Today we are still looking forward to the by-pass promised several years ago, but currently deleted from the road building programme.

Barry Dodd
Thormanby 2000



Thormanby - 1865

Or click here for a full size map (339Kb)

Will require Adobe Reader to view 

from Baine's Directory of the County of York 1823

THORMANBY, a parish in the wapentake of Bulmer, and liberty of Ripon; 4 miles NW of Easingwold. Here is a church, dedicated to St Mary; the living is a rectory; patrons, Lors Vese Downe and Sir George Cayley, Bart, alternatelt; incumbent, the Hon Rev W H Downay. Population 118.

 

 

 

Location

Click for more information on The George Hotel in Easingwold

Visit The George at Easingwold, and enjoy an inn renowned for its accommodation, fine food and friendly staff. You are assured the very best of Yorkshire hospitality,more.

Contact

Easingwold Tourist Information
Chapel Lane
Easingwold
York
YO61 3AE
Tel 01347 821530
Fax 01347 821530

Email us

It's a fact

Sqdn Ldr. Jack Currie was a famous WW2 bomber pilot who lived in our area. Some time after leaving the RAF he got a job as an instructor with the Home Office Defence School situated at Hawk Hills, Easingwold. During these post war years he decided to write his memoirs of his wartime experience as a pilot of a Lancaster Bomber. This book had the title of \"Lancaster Target\" which became very popular and sold in the thousands. He wrote this book whilst visiting the George Hotel in Easingwold in the evening whilst enjoying a pint. Sadly he died much too soon and is now at laid at rest in Easingwold church cemetery where one can view his unusual gravestone which mentions the fact that he was a famous wartime pilot and author. His funeral service was attended by hundreds of people, including the members of the BBC who produced a film of him being interviewed in respect of his wartime period when he was stationed at Wickenby in Lincolnshire.

Supported by

Supported by: Lottery Funding